This workshop uses a mix of case-studies, live-practice scenarios and video examples to explore the range of counselling techniques and skillsets required to form and maintain a therapeutic relationship with clients, conduct screening and brief interventions and have difficult conversations with clients and family members.
Topics covered include:
- Active listening skills, including verbal and non-verbal communication
- Recognising and overcoming barriers to effective communication
- Conducting screening and brief interventions using FRAMES and brief motivational interviewing techniques
- Managing challenging behaviours by utilising de-escalation and refusal skills
- Responding to common counselling dilemmas and client curveballs
Presenters: Dan Phillips and Jim Hunt
NB: Participants will need to provide their own lunch.