Prerequisite eLearning: Online Induction Material – Module 2
NB: This course is a pre-requisite for the “Assessing and Managing Withdrawal” workshop.
This workshop covers foundational knowledge and concepts required to work in the alcohol and other drug field.
Topics covered include:
- History of substance use, statistics, prevalence and rates of use
- Moral, legal, disease and bio-psychosocial models of substance use
- Australian drug policy frameworks and guidelines
- Basic neurobiology and pharmacology
- Routes of administration
- Patterns of use and harms from substance use
- Intoxication and overdose
- Tolerance, dependence and withdrawal
- Foundational therapeutic concepts including the Transtheoretical Model (Stages of Changes)
- Overview of the Queensland AOD Treatment System
- The evidence-base underpinning therapeutic interventions
Presenter: Warren Losberg.
Please contact the Mental Health Staff Development Team on (07) 4433 9480 or email MHCAMB@health.qld.gov.au for workshop information.
NB: Participants will be required to provide their own lunch.