This one-day workshop is designed for any worker who wants to develop a broad understanding of psychoactive drugs and a basic knowledge and skillset in how to support someone who may be experiencing problematic substance use.
By the end of this workshop learners will be able to:
- Understand the history of prevalence of substance use, including statistics and rates of use
- Recognise key substance types, their effects and patterns of use
- Understand and recognise specific harms associated with substance use and substance dependence
- Describe how values, language, stigma and discrimination affect practice in this field
- Describe and apply the Transtheoretical Model (Stages of Change)
- Understand the aims and objectives of AOD treatment
- Conduct a basic assessment and brief intervention with someone who uses substances
- Provide basic harm reduction advice
- Know where to go for more information, training and support.