This full day workshop focuses on enhancing worker’s culturally safe alcohol and drug practice when working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, their families and communities.
By the end of this workshop learners will be able to:
- Understand the impact of history on the present-day wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, their families and communities in the context of alcohol and other drug use.
- Describe key concepts of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health including social and emotional wellbeing.
- Understand the prevalence and rates of substance use amongst Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
- Demonstrate mindful engagement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, families and communities in regards to cultural protocols, the importance of building rapport and connection and family and child inclusive practice.
- Identify available culturally-safe AOD screening, assessment and intervention tools including online and eHealth apps.
- Understand how to build and/or enhance organisational and workplace cultural safety.
Tea, coffee and a light lunch are provided at all full-day workshops.